Star NFL receiver Antonio Brown asks fans to help him find a new helmet
AP Photo/Jeff Chiu
- Antonio Brown has embarked on a search for a new old helmet.
- Brown filed a grievance with the NFL in an attempt to continue wearing his old helmet, which is older than 10 years old and violates the NFL's equipment rule.
- Players cannot use helmets older than 10 years since they can no longer be certified for safe use
- Brown said he would retire if he were not allowed to wear his helmet, but later said he would be back at camp despite losing his appeal.
- On Tuesday, Brown took to Twitter to seek a Schutt Air Advantage adult large helmet manufactured in 2010 or later.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
On Thursday, Chase Williams of WPXI reported that Brown had gone "radio silent" with the Raiders.
ESPN's Adam Schefter later reported that Brown told the Raiders he would retire if not allowed to use his helmet. NOSCAE will not certify any helmets older than 10 years.Brown also attempted to repaint his old helmet "with colors approximating - but not completely mimicking - the Raiders' silver-and-black design," according to NFL Network's Mike Silver.
Brown, who previously said he would retire if he weren't allowed to wear his helmet, changed his tune after the ruling."While I disagree with the arbitrator's decision, I'm working on getting back to full health and looking forward to rejoining my teammates on the field," Brown tweeted. "I'm excited about this season appreciate all the concerns about my feet!"Advertisement
With Brown looking to still keep the same helmet model he has worn throughout his career, he took to Twitter on Tuesday to search for one. He wears a Schutt Air Advantage adult large helmet but needs one that was manufactured during or after 2010 in compliance with NFL rules.The model was discontinued eight years ago.Advertisement
In return, a signed Raiders helmet will be given to the person who can fulfill his request.
This tactic may solve Brown's helmet issues for now, but the problem is likely to arise again in the future due to the NFL's equipment rule.Advertisement
While he searches for a helmet, Brown is expected to report to camp on Tuesday, according to Schefter.
- Read more:
- Antonio Brown's time with the Raiders has already taken an ugly turn with reports that he's livid over new helmet rule, battling a strange injury, and has gone 'radio silent'
- Tom Brady forced to change helmets because of NFL rule, says it's a difficult adjustment
- Browns receiver who slept outside the team facility and conned his way into a tryout scored a gorgeous TD in his first NFL game
- Fantasy football sleeper picks for every team in the NFL
"While I disagree with the arbitrator's decision, I'm working on getting back to full health and looking forward to rejoining my teammates on the field. I'm excited about this season appreciate all the concerns about my feet !" #AlwaysAFight #Represent #itsbiggerthanme- AB (@AB84) August 12, 2019
"I'm looking for a Schutt Air Advantage Adult Large Helmet that was manufactured in 2010 or after. In exchange I will trade a signed practice worn @Raiders helmet."- AB (@AB84) August 13, 2019
- Suresh Raina retires from international cricket, 'joins MS Dhoni in his journey'
- M S Dhoni retires from International cricket, will continue to play IPL
- Arunachal CM launches entrepreneurship plan to boost economy
- Meghalaya has set up task force to revive economy: Sangma
- Google may replace Duo video calling app with Meet