11 incredible facts about the $700 billion US trucking industry
- The trucking industry in the United States is worth hundreds of billions of dollars.
- The US trucking industry accounts for more than 5% of all the full-time jobs in America, even though truckers themselves earn a lower-than-average wage.
- Here are 11 surprising facts about the US trucking industry.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The United States is hugely dependent on truckers.
Data show that trucking moves 71% of all the freight in America, and nearly 6% of all the full-time jobs in the country are in the trucking industry.
The industry employs millions of drivers and generates hundreds of billions of dollars in annual revenue. It serves as the vital lifeline between producers and consumers when it comes to everything from gasoline to gallons of milk.
While the trucking industry is now decades old, it remains dynamic, with constant demand from consumers keeping trucking as vital to the economy as ever.
Read on for 11 facts you might not know about the US trucking industry.
In 2017, the American trucking industry posted revenues higher than the GDP of more than 150 nations.
Approximately 5.8% of all full-time jobs in America are related to trucking
Walmart alone employs more than 8,600 truckers
In 2017, trucks moved 10.8 billion tons of freight
And trucks move more than 70% of all goods transported around the United States
More than 40% of the jobs in the American trucking industry are held by minorities
Not one of the regulators charged with overseeing the trucking industry was ever a truck driver
Most grocery stores would run out of food in just three days if long-haul truckers stopped driving
Many experts think the trucking industry needs to hire 900,000 more drivers
Truck drivers earn less than most Americans in terms of annual income
The average professional long-haul trucker logs more than 100,000 miles per year
- Sennheiser Profile USB Streaming Set review: The go-to microphone for those starting their streaming or podcasting journey
- LIC to Wipro and Vodafone Idea: Stocks which hit a new 52-week low today
- Project Tiger to complete 50 years of tiger conservation next month
- Early-stage startups keen on hiring for mid and junior roles, says a FICCI survey
- SEBI recovers dues worth ₹6.57 crore from Sahara Group firms, Subrata Roy & others