Sensex, Nifty extend losses into 4th session; HDFC stock weighs
- Wipro was the biggest loser among
Sensexfirms, sliding 2.32%.
- Heavy selling in
HDFCBank hits investor sentiments as stock falls 7.7% in last five sessions.
- IndusInd Bank, Maruti, State Bank of India, Mahindra & Mahindra were among the gainers.
Equity benchmark indices, the Sensex and the
After oscillating nearly 500 points between gains and losses during the day, the 30-share BSE Sensex declined 221.09 points or 0.33% to settle at 66,009.15. During the day, it hit a high of 66,445.47 and a low of 65,952.83.
The Nifty fell 68.10 points or 0.34% to end at 19,674.25.
The HDFC Bank stock continued to weigh on the market as HDFC Bank fell 1.5% more in Friday trade. In the past five sessions the stock is down 7.7%.
In the early trade, the benchmark indices had climbed after global financial firm
Wipro was the biggest loser among Sensex firms, sliding 2.32%, followed by HDFC Bank, Power Grid, UltraTech Cement, ITC, ICICI Bank and Tata Motors.
IndusInd Bank, Maruti, State Bank of India, Mahindra & Mahindra, Asian Paints and Bajaj Finserv were among the gainers.
In Asian markets, Seoul and Tokyo settled in the negative territory while Shanghai and Hong Kong ended in the green.
European markets were trading mostly lower. The US markets ended in negative territory on Thursday.
Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs) offloaded equities worth Rs 3,007.36 crore on Thursday, according to exchange data.
Global oil benchmark Brent crude climbed 0.59% to USD 93.85 a barrel.
The BSE benchmark fell 570.60 points or 0.85% to settle at 66,230.24 on Thursday. The Nifty declined 159.05 points or 0.80% to end at 19,742.35.
(With text input from PTI)
Popular on BI
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- International air travel penetration remains low in India: CAPA
- "Meeting friends is always a delight": PM Modi reacts to 'Melodi' selfie shared by Italian counterpart Georgia Meloni
- WhatsApp testing new feature that lets you search users by their username
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts