10 things you need to know before the opening bell
Here's what you need to know before
1. Global equities find some footing after another slide in US tech stocks, led by a record fall in Tesla. Asian indices declined after the previous day saw tech favorites such as Apple, Amazon, Facebook, and Zoom slump over 4% and Tesla falling by 21%.
2. Tesla stock rallies after plunging a record 21% during Tuesday's tech rout. Elon Musk's electric-vehicle company showed signs of recovery after its worst trading day in history.
3.'Bond King' Jeffrey Gundlach says the day-trading boom is 'downright terrifying'. He said an increase in trades-per-account on online brokerage platforms was worrying.
4. Billionaire Howard Marks says real estate, retail, entertainment and hospitality stocks are the real opportunities for investors now. Investors shouldn't worry about Wall Street's recent tech-sell off and noted markets "can't tell what lies ahead," he said.
5. 4 experts break down the drivers behind the sudden plunge in tech stocks that's dragging the entire market lower — and share their best recommendations for what investors should do as the election approaches. "Everyone is so nervous about equities that the moment," says Toroso Asset Management's Michael Gayed, after weeks of smooth sailing for stocks.
6. Fred Stanske uses the insights of Nobel winner Richard Thaler, the 'father of behavioral finance,' to beat the market with under-the-radar stocks. Here's how he does it — and 2 picks he's buying for long-term gains. Stanske has worked alongside Nobel-winning economist Richard Thaler for more than 20 years, and explains how he invests based on Thaler's ideas.
7. A strategist at the world's largest wealth manager lays out 4 election-related risks that could damage investors' portfolios — and shares how to safeguard against each one now, regardless of who wins. An investing strategist for the wealthy says election-related risks could have a long-lasting impact on your portfolio.
8. Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway is set to plow more than $550 million into Snowflake when the cloud-data company goes public. The famed investor's company has agreed to buy $250 million of stock in a private placement and over $300 million worth from Snowflake's former CEO.
9. European and US stocks are up. In Europe, Germany's DAX rose 0.7%, Britain's FTSE 100 rose 0.6% and the Euro Stoxx 50 rose 0.6%. In Asia, China's Shanghai Composite fell 1.8%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng fell 0.6%, and Japan's Nikkei fell 1% at the close. In the US, futures underlying the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the S&P 500, and the US Tech 100 rose between 0.4% and 1.5%.
10. On the data docket. MBA mortgage applications and the US 10-year note auction are due.
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Kim Jong Un abruptly reappears after 36 days out of the spotlight and orders North Korea to 'prepare for war'
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000