6 reasons stocks could surprise to the upside this month despite historically meager returns in August, according to Fundstrat
- Although a historically turbulent month for investing, August could surprise to the upside this year,
Fundstrat's Thomas Leesaid.
- The veteran strategist anticipates stocks to chop higher throughout the month.
- Lee cited positive coronavirus case data and strengthening commodities as factors to consider.
Investors should be wary of
In a Monday note, the head of research said that although investors tend to take time off during August, leading to reduced liquidity and turbulent markets, the month could see stocks moving higher.
He cautioned that this is "not a high conviction view," but laid out several reasons factors investors should consider right now.
For one, US COVID-19 cases could peak in the next 7-10 days according to Fundstrat's data analysis. Meanwhile, incremental hospitalization rates seem to be rolling over and Dr. Fauci and other policymakers are stating that new lockdowns - which would likely spook markets - are unlikely.
Positive news on the pandemic front is coupled with the fact that commodities have been quietly strengthening, with oil near a two-year high and bitcoin steadily closing in on $40,000.
Lastly, odds are favoring a rise in US interest rates in the coming weeks, with Fundstrat's estimates showing that the 10-year could "march higher" into the year-end.
On Tuesday, Lee followed up in another note stating that August will ultimately be a "risk on" month that will "chop higher," if Fundstrat's base case of COVID-19 cases declining.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles