A $60 billion investment advisor quadrupled its money on Snap stock in 16 months - and likely scored a $4 billion gain
Edgewood Managementlikely racked up a $4 billion gain on Snapstock in 16 months.
- The $60 billion investment advisor bought 62 million shares in the first quarter of 2020.
- Edgewood still owned 50 million shares at the last count, worth $3.7 billion today.
A little-known investment advisor has more than quadrupled its money on Snap stock, likely notching a $4 billion gain in the space of 16 months.
Edgewood Management, which oversees $60 billion of assets, initially snapped up 62 million shares of
The investment advisor boosted its stake to 75 million shares over the next six months, and Snap's stock price more than doubled during that period, lifting the value of Edgewood's position from $734 million to almost $2 billion. The firm cashed out about 13 million shares in the next quarter, but Snap's stock price doubled again, valuing Edgewood's 62 million shares at $3.1 billion at the end of last year.
Edgewood took more money off the table in the first quarter of this year, slashing its position by about 19% to 50 million shares - worth $2.6 billion at the end of March. Snap stock is currently trading close to a record high at $74, valuing Edgewood's stake at $3.7 billion today if it hasn't touched the position.
That figure represents a roughly $3 billion gain on its original investment, and the firm probably pocketed $1 billion from the 25 million shares it sold, assuming an average sale price of $40. That would bring its total gains, both realized and unrealized, to about $4 billion.
Still, the investment advisor may have some regrets. If it hadn't sold a third of its 75 million Snap shares, it would boast a 4.8% stake in the company worth $5.6 billion today.
Snap was one of only 22
Edgewood employs six portfolio managers including its president,
Edgewood didn't immediately respond to a request for comment from Insider.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders