A top exec at a $1.8 billion hedge fund asked his followers for their favorite election trades. Here are the best responses.
- With Election Day just one week away, some of Wall Street's top investors are sharing their blue-wave plays for all to see.
- Joseph Mauro, the head of markets at the hedge fund Light Sky Macro, asked his Twitter followers what their first trade would be if Florida were called early and pointed to an "overwhelming" Democratic sweep.
- Here's how Mauro's followers, from former hedge-fund giants to finance-Twitter fans, replied.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Wall Street is finalizing its election-night bets. Some are sharing their insights in client-exclusive analyst notes and strategy calls.
Others are sounding off in a Twitter thread.Joseph Mauro, the head of markets at the hedge fund Light Sky Macro, asked his 5,353 followers on Sunday what their first postelection trade would be if Florida were called early and pointed to "the most overwhelming blue wave in the history of American politics."
Here's how Mauro's followers, from Wall Street titans to finance-Twitter loyalists, said they planned to invest should Florida's results point to a Democratic sweep.Light Sky Macro managed $1.8 billion in assets as of December 31, according to a regulatory filing.
Read more: Bank of America's restaurant analyst told us the 7 stocks that will thrive as frigid winter weather rocks the industry — and broke down the factors that could hurt certain popular destinations
The professionals"Fade the consensus Blue Wave trades. i.e. buy bonds and buy dollars." — Raoul Pal, the founder and CEO of Real Vision Group and Global Macro Investor "Long MXN." — Paul McNamara, the investment director at GAM Investments, referring to the Mexican peso
"Sell Bonds." — Mike Novogratz, a former hedge-fund manager and CEO of Galaxy Investment Partners
"Contrarian opinion- don't do anything- just stay calm. There will be a lot of vol anyway. Pickup when the dust settles." — Kunal Shah, a former Goldman Sachs analyst
The less-than-professionals"Buy nasdaq fade macro portfolios." — @gpcap2
"Non-contrarian: MXN. Contrarian: short longer-dates breakevens and receive fwd inflation swaps. Stay away: gold, steepeners." — @policyerror
"Sell risk parity + don't sell the USD." — @McTeaguePeter"Long CA and NY munis." — @SobchakCapital
"Fading whatever is most-liked in your comments." — @FunkPhlex"Tissue companies, they gonna make a killing." — @Lord_Ashdrake
"Invest in a good bourbon to celebrate." — @DocJDoeNow read more markets coverage from Markets Insider and Business Insider: A fund manager who 'aggressively pushed' Jeremy Grantham's GMO to launch its first climate change fund shares how to capitalize on clean energy before it's too late — including 4 top stock picks
- YouTube starts rolling out hashtag landing pages— here’s how you can use it
- Do not panic when Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman reads out the revised estimates
- India records 14,545 new COVID-19 cases in last 24 hours
- Google says it will pull Search out of Australia if the government doesn't back down on the media bargaining code
- Recession in India will end latest by March, says a top economist