Acorns, the app that lets users invest spare change, is going public via SPAC at a valuation of over $2 billion
- Acorns, the investment app that allows users to invest spare change from daily transactions, is going public.
- The fintech company will merge with a
SPACin a deal that is expected to value Acornsat $2.2 billion.
- Acorns' 4 million subscribers have nearly $10 billion in assets on the investment platform.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Acorns, the personal
The fintech company announced plans to merge with SPAC Pioneer Merger Corp. in a deal that will value the company at about $2.2 billion.
The deal will bolster Acorn's cash position to more than $450 million and enable it to accelerate growth, according to the company.
Acorns was founded in 2012 and has more than 4 million "everyday American subscribers" on its platform. The company expects that number to grow to 10 million by 2025. Its press release on Thursday said Acorns users have saved and invested over $9.6 billion.
Institutional investors who are behind the SPAC merger include Wellington Management, TPG, and funds and accounts managed by BlackRock.
As part of the SPAC merger, several insiders plan to contribute a share of their personal ownership in Acorns to fund a program giving shares to eligible customers.
"We intent to introduce our share rewards program that will allow eligible customers to own a piece of the company and an even greater piece as they invite others to start the path toward financial wellness," Acorns CEO Noah Kerner said.
The transaction is expected to close in the second half of 2021. Acorns will trade under the ticker symbol "OAKS" on the Nasdaq.
Shares of Pioneer Merger Corp. traded up about 3% in Thursday morning trades following the news.
- Ethos IPO: Understanding its business, profit, outlook, analysts view in 10 points
- Here are the top cryptos losers that have reported the highest decline in the last 7 days
- Google's YouTube Music for Wear OS to now let users stream content over Wi-Fi and LTE
- Airtel bumped its profits by $2 billion in FY2022 — understand its earnings in ten simple points
- All you need to know about PM Modi's 6G announcement