Activist investor Ryan Cohen scores 400% gain on GameStop stock in under 6 months
- Activist investor Ryan Cohen has notched a 400% gain on his
Chewycofounder spent $76 million for 9 million shares in the video-game retailer.
- Those shares are now worth over $380 million thanks to GameStop's soaring stock price.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Activist investor Ryan Cohen has scored a 400% gain on his GameStop wager in under six months.
The Chewy cofounder spent about $76 million to buy 9 million shares in the video-game retailer last year, SEC filings show. Those shares are now worth more than $380 million, meaning Cohen has quintupled his investment and made north of $300 million on paper.
Cohen paid about $8.40 per share on average - less than a fifth of GameStop's $45 stock-price high on Tuesday. He bought the bulk of his shares in mid-August, then grew his stake to just over 9 million shares by mid-December, giving him a roughly 13% stake in the company.
GameStop's stock price jumped as much as 21% on Tuesday, after soaring as much as 93% to a four-year high last Wednesday. The rally followed a deal between Cohen's RC Ventures and GameStop to add three seats to the retailer's board, including one for Cohen.
Cohen penned a letter to GameStop's bosses in November, criticizing them for not keeping pace with the video-game industry's shift to digital streaming, mobile, and gamers buying from mass retailers and online rivals.
The entrepreneur and his team also called for GameStop to conduct a strategic review, evolve from a physical retailer into a technology company, prioritize its most profitable
Here's a chart showing GameStop's astounding stock rally:
- K'taka Assembly passes supplementary budget of Rs 10,265 crore
- Sports NFT platforms have racked up nearly $1 billion in funding this week alone, despite market slump
- COVID-19 virus likely to get weaker and become a common cold, says Oxford-AstraZeneca vax creator
- Best teether for growing baby in India
- TiE Delhi-NCR kickstarts the 10th Edition of India Internet Day themed Digital India: Escape Velocity