Apple hits $2 trillion market cap, becomes first US-listed company to reach milestone
- Apple just became the first US-listed company to reach a $2 trillion
- Shares of the technology giant rose 1.2% to an all-time high of $467.84 on Wednesday to reach the milestone.
- The oil giant
Saudi Aramcois the only other publicly listed company to have hit a $2 trillion market value.
- Watch Apple trade live on Markets Insider.
- Read more on Business Insider.
It's official: Apple is the first US-listed company to reach a $2 trillion market capitalization.
Shares of the technology giant rose 1.2% to an all-time high of $467.84 on Wednesday to reach the milestone.
The oil giant Saudi Aramco is the only other publicly listed company to have reached a $2 trillion market cap. It broke the threshold in December, one day after its record-setting initial public offering.
This isn't the first time Apple has broken a market-cap record. In August 2018, it became the first US company to reach a market value of $1 trillion. Since then, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google's parent, Alphabet, have also crossed the $1 trillion threshold.
Apple has grown into a global technology giant in the decades since Steve Jobs started the company in a California garage. Since launching the iPhone, arguably its most famous product, the company has expanded to include services and wearables, which bring in billions of dollars in revenue each year.
Even during the coronavirus pandemic, Apple has had a strong year, surging 60% and reporting blockbuster quarterly earnings that beat Wall Street expectations. Investors have flocked to Apple and other technology giants including Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Alphabet, and Microsoft, seeing them as companies uniquely positioned to withstand the pandemic and the ensuing recession.
In addition, the company recently announced its fifth stock split in an effort to appeal to a broader base of investors. Apple is set to enact a 4-for-1 split of its shares next Monday.
- Toyam Sports Limited signed up as title sponsor for India tour of Bangladesh
- Deadly Covid variants still transmissible between species, finds study
- Australia researchers find poor sleep may be risk factor for Type 2 diabetes
- Max Financial Services: Company worth ₹24,000 crore running with only 12 employees
- NPCI defers UPI market cap rules till Dec 31, 2024