AstraZeneca slides after its coronavirus vaccine trial is put on hold due to suspected adverse reaction
AstraZenecashares fell on Wednesday, following a 6% drop on Tuesday, after the pharmaceutical company paused its COVID-19 vaccinetrial following a suspected severe adverse reaction.
- Shares in the drugs company, a leader in the race for a vaccine, were down by around 1% on London’s FTSE 100 index in mid-morning trading on Wednesday.
- Pausing the phase-three study is a “routine action which has to happen whenever there is a potentially unexplained illness in one of the trials,” the company said in a statement to CNBC.
AstraZeneca shares fell on Wednesday, extending a 6% fall on Tuesday, after the pharmaceutical company halted its
Shares in the company, a front-runner in the race for a coronavirus vaccine, were down by around 1% on London's FTSE 100 index in mid-morning trading on Wednesday. AstraZeneca's US-listed shares fell by as much as 6% during after-hours trading on Tuesday.
AstraZeneca is developing a vaccine with the
Illnesses in large trials are expected, but each one must be reviewed carefully, it added. AstraZeneca also said it was "working to expedite the review of the single event to minimize any potential impact on the trial timeline."
The suspected serious adverse reaction was first reported by STAT. The details of the illness were not disclosed but the participant is expected to recover, according to a person familiar with the situation who spoke to STAT.
The World Health Organization has described the AstraZeneca vaccine as one of the leading and advanced contenders in the world to fight against COVID-19.
Read more: MORGAN STANLEY: The tech stock plunge shows drivers of the market's record-setting summer have been completely reshuffled — but these 3 strategies offer a foolproof way for investors to keep raking in big returns
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip
- BMW launches its 3rd gen BMW X1 in India
- YouTube Music on the web gets mood filters
- Premium segment contributed 35% of overall smartphone market revenue in 2022
- US industry urges FM to rationalise, simplify direct and indirect taxes in India