Billionaire Rick Caruso’s real estate firm will start accepting bitcoin as rent payment
- Billionaire Rick
Caruso's real estatefirm said it will start accepting bitcoinas rent payment.
- The company also announced that it partnered with Gemini, a
cryptocurrencyexchange and custodian.
- "I believe bitcoin and cryptocurrency will play an important role in our collective future," Caruso said.
Billionaire Rick Caruso's real estate firm announced that it will start accepting bitcoin as rent payment - a first within the global residential and retail space.
Caruso, one of the largest real estate companies in the US, is the latest in a growing list of major institutions from
"I believe bitcoin and cryptocurrency will play an important role in our collective future," Caruso said in a statement.The executive also said that he hopes to enhance the experience of his guests by introducing blockchain-enabled rewards and enabling cryptocurrency payments.
Bitcoin has risen to record highs due in large part to support from major institutions. The cryptocurrency has thus far soared more than 100% year-to-date and 600% in the past 12 months.While bitcoin's rally has stalled in the past days, it tested the $60,000-level record last week after Visa enabled the use of USD Coin and CME Group revealed expanding its suite of crypto offerings with micro bitcoin futures. As a whole, cryptocurrencies have seen their market capitalization double to $2 trillion in just three months.
There's a "growing shift for companies to accept this digital currency as a form of payment," Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives said. "Bitcoin mania is not a fad in our opinion, but rather the start of a new age on the digital currency front."
However, the analyst added that only less than 5% of public companies will invest in bitcoin over the next 12 to 18 months as regulations are fleshed out.Caruso, a privately held company, owns and operates a diverse portfolio of retail, residential and mixed-use properties. Included in its portfolio are The Grove and The Americana at Brand; luxury residential building 8500; and The Masonic Temple.
- What makes Virat Kohli the most loved brand ambassador during IPL
- ICICI Bank, Tech Mahindra, Nestle India and other hot stocks to track on April 20
- Notified new policy on rare diseases, approved budget of Rs 25 crore for treatment: Centre to HC
- Former PM Manmohan Singh admitted to AIIMS after testing positive for COVID-19
- If you are 18 years or older, you can get a COVID-19 vaccine from May 1