Clover Health jumps 20% as Redditors cheer company's acknowledgement that the stock is the target of a short squeeze
Clover Healthshares surged 20% Tuesday amid hype from Reddit retail traders.
- Redditors on popular investing threads cheered the opportunity for a short-squeeze.
- The Chamath Palihapitiya-backed healthcare company has a 26% short-interest ratio.
Redditors drove a new rally in shares of Chamath Palihapitiya-backed Clover Health Tuesday amid excitement over a
A number of discussions on the popular day-trader forum pointed to a Monday filing from the company that mentioned a short squeeze of the stock.
In the filing, Clover said cautioned traders from investing in the company's stock because of speculation that it's the target of a short squeeze.
"Investors that purchase shares of our Class A common stock during a short squeeze may lose a significant portion of their investment," the company said.
Yet, the stock jumped 20% Tuesday as retail traders on
On Reddit investing threads, about 12% of posts used the words "short" or "squeeze" in relation to Clover, according to data from HypeEquity.
Despite warnings of losses from the company, Redditors weren't fazed - instead, they wanted to buy even more.
"I'm in!" said one Redditor with 58,000 "comment karma" points.
Redditors have been known to target companies with high short interest in the past, and Clover has a short volume ratio of 26%, according to data from Fintel.io.
GameStop, which first brought meme stocks into the spotlight earlier this year, was highly shorted. When retail traders caused a meteoric rally in the stock,
The meme-stock craze has caused many short sellers to run from their bearish bets on small- to mid-size companies, according to data from Barclays. But there are still several companies, like Clover, with high short-seller interest.
Clover, which sells private health plans for seniors in the Medicare Advantage market and has backing from
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- Not just India, many countries are protecting their wheat to keep daily bread, affordable
- Realme Pad Mini review – a good option for entry-level users
- Top 5 SUV cars under ₹20 Lakhs
- Best free Android games without ads in 2022
- Europe on red alert for monkeypox as EU health chiefs ask nations to prepare vaccination strategies
- These states in India are paying up to ₹15 extra on petrol compared to other states