Coinbase is officially worth more than GM, FedEx, and Twitter after its market debut
- Coinbase's market value peaked at $112 billion during its first day of trading.
- The crypto exchange was valued higher than Target or Airbnb at that point.
Coinbaseis still worth more than General Motors, Twitter, or Chipotle.
- See more stories on Insider's business page.
Coinbase's market value is notable because it generated only $322 million of net income in 2020, a fraction of Lockheed's $6.9 billion or GM's $6.4 billion in profits last year. However, its backers are betting it will grow into its valuation by cashing in on the crypto boom and expanding its operations.The company is certainly growing quickly. It earned up to $800 million in net income in the first quarter alone, or more than double its profits for the whole of last year. The group also reported 6.1 million monthly transacting users and $335 billion of trading volume in the period.
Coinbase went public on the Nasdaq index via a direct listing, making it the biggest company yet to take that route to market. Direct listings spare companies from issuing new shares and diluting their investors. They also allow existing shareholders to cash in their stock and avoid the usual six-month lockup period.Read more: Bitcoin is a headache to store, and that's created an investment opportunity that could theoretically pay determined traders big risk-free returns by December
- China's Long March rocket debris falls in Indian Ocean close to Maldives, ending days of uncertainty
- India crosses 4,000 mark of COVID deaths in a single day, total 2,42,362 fatalities reported so far
- Debris from China's disintegrating rocket enters Earth's atmosphere
- UP's Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announces free funerals for deceased Covid patients
- You no longer need a Covid+ve report to get admitted to a hospital: Union Health Ministry