Dogecoin soars another 600% as Reddit frenzy pushes the token into the top 10 cryptocurrencies by market cap
- Dogecoin's rise extended Friday as the crypto-themed subreddit SatoshiStreetBets fueled a further rally.
- Bitcoin too climbed 15% on the same day after Elon Musk changed his Twitter bio to include it.
- Robinhood temporarily restricted crypto trading on its platform due to "extraordinary market conditions."
The Reddit-inspired market mania sent the price of meme-based digital asset
Dogecoin jumped over 600% in the last 24 hours to a trading point of $0.0779 in early European trading. That pushed its market value to about $9 billion, ranking it at seven among cryptocurrencies, according to data from Coin Gecko.Crypto rival Bitcoin also climbed 15% on the same day after Elon Musk changed his Twitter bio to simply say: "#bitcoin." Prior to that, Musk touted Dogecoin by posting a mock magazine cover of "Dogue" - a play on the fashion title Vogue. The billionaire has previously referred to it as his favorite cryptocurrency.
A crypto-themed version of the Wall Street Bets forum has been attempting to push the digital token higher to make money. By creating a hype around the coin, the SatoshiStreetBets subreddit is aiming for a $1 price target for Dogecoin.The recent frenzy led online brokerage Robinhood to restrict crypto trading temporarily. "Due to extraordinary market conditions, we've temporarily turned off instant buying power for crypto," a Robinhood spokesperson told CNBC. "Customers can still use settled funds to buy crypto. We'll keep monitoring market conditions and communicating with our customers."
- PL 2021: Here’s a look at how Punjab Kings vs CSK play against each other
- Goa and Gurugram recorded highest single day of covid 19 cases today
- Wipro fears it may lose its employees to competitors as there is an explosion of IT jobs
- Citibank to exit consumer banking business in India
- Checkout what is allowed and what is not in the new guidelines issued by the Delhi government