Dow drops 383 points as COVID-19 cases surge
stocksdeclined in the first tradingsession of 2021 on Monday as investors weighed a new spike in virus cases.
- Bitcoin saw a volatile trading session on Monday as it fell as much as 17%. The decline followed a surge to record highs just below $35,000.
- Watch major indexes update live here.
US stocks declined in the first trading session of 2021 on Monday as investors weighed another spike in virus cases.
To combat the surge in COVID-19 cases and a new strain of the virus, the UK is entering a full national lockdown until at least mid-February, with most schools transitioning to remote learning.
Bitcoin surged and then dropped in a volatile trading session. The popular cryptocurrency hit record highs just below $35,000 on Sunday before falling as much as 17% in Monday trades to levels not seen since last week. Bitcoin's fall was its steepest since March.
Here's where US indexes stood at the 4 p.m. ET close on Monday:
- S&P 500: 3,700.65, down 1.5%
- Dow Jones industrial average: 30,223.89, down 1.3% (383 points)
- Nasdaq composite: 12,698.45, down 1.5%
Read more: Anthony Scaramucci told us 3 reasons why he sees bitcoin going to $100,000 by December 31 - and why SkyBridge partners have put $25 million of their personal assets into its newly launched crypto fund
Tesla jumped after it said it delivered nearly 500,000 electric vehicles in 2020, besting Wall Street expectations and falling just a few hundred vehicles short of its delivery target.
Herbalife fell after billionaire investor Carl Icahn sold $600 million worth of shares in the company and gave up board seats.
QuantumScape tumbled as much as 44% in its first day of 2021 trading on Monday after staging a 745% rally in 2020. No official news was attributed to the decline but the company did file with SEC to sell 306 million shares last Thursday.
Gold jumped as much as 2.4%, to $1,944.52 per ounce.
- Bajaj Chetak Urbane electric scooter with 113 km range to hit the roads starting ₹1.15 lk
- Cyclone 'Michaung' alert in the Tirupati, Nellore, Prakasam, Bapatla, Krishna, West Godavari, Konaseema, and Kakinada of AP Districts
- Gold surges Rs 450 to hit record high of Rs 64,300 per 10 gm
- 7 best places to visit in Amritsar on your next trip
- Mizoram polls: ZPM dethrones MNF, bags 27 of 40 seats