Editas surges 50% as ARK founder Cathie Wood sees genomic stocks driving returns for the next 5 years
EditasMedicine soared as much as 50% on Monday to record highs amid recently commentary from ARK Investfounder Cathie Woodsaying genomic stockswill drive returns for her investment portfolios over the next five years.
- In an interview with Bloomberg on Friday, Wood said her and her team believes "the next FANG [stocks] are in the genomic age," adding that healthcare is the largest sector exposure in ARK's flagship disruptive innovation ETF.
- Editas Medicine is the 11th-largest holding in the
ARKInnovation ETF, and CRISPRTherapeutics is the second largest, according to data from ARK Invest.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Shares of Editas Medicine, a genome editing company that utilizes CRISPR technology, soared as much as 50% to new all-time highs on Monday. There was no official news from the company to explain the move higher.
The move does follow a Friday interview conducted by Bloomberg with ARK Invest founder Cathie Wood, who explained that she sees genomic stocks driving the bulk of the gains for her flagship fund over the next five years.
"The biggest upside surprises are going to come from the genomic space, and that's because the convergence of DNA sequencing, artificial intelligence, and gene therapies are going to cure disease," Wood said.
Wood, who is the portfolio manager of ARK's flagship ARK Innovation ETF (ARKK), has made healthcare the biggest sector exposure for the portfolio, even eclipsing technology.
"We actually think the next 'FANG' [stocks] are in the genomic age," Wood said.
The potential for genomic stocks could be massive, according to Wood, who foresees a combination of artificial intelligence and gene editing allowing scientists to anticipate and cure diseases like sickle cell disease and diabetes.
Shares of ARKK surged as much as 4% on Monday, while Crispr Therapeutics surged 19%, Invitae Corporation jumped 6%, and Intellia Therapeutics gained 24%.
- Serum Institute seeks drug regulator's approval to start booster doses of Covishield
- Do you own an LIC policy? Here is how you can link your PAN before applying for the LIC IPO
- Ahmedabad and Karachi among ten cheapest cities in the world
- Deloitte India partners with News Broadcasters Federation to build an integrated performance and rewards forum for the news media industry
- Best bullet cameras for security in India