Ether can soar to $3,000 as momentum overtakes bitcoin and breaks above a key resistance level
Etherhit record highs on Tuesday after breaking above a key resistance level at $2,500.
- The cryptocurrency has taken the lead from
bitcoinin recent weeks following a divergence in momentum.
- Ether can hit a measured move target of $3,020, according to technical analyst Katie Stockton.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Ether's prior high at $2,500 was overwhelmed by buyers on Tuesday, and a measured move price projection of $3,020 is within reach, according to Stockton. That price objective represents potential upside of 14% from Tuesday afternoon levels.
The move in ether to record highs comes after a volatile week for bitcoin, which fell more than 20% to below $50,000 before surging more than 10% to about $55,000. Bitcoin traded at a record high near $65,000 earlier this month amid the Coinbase IPO.
Ether has upheld positive intermediate-term momentum even as bitcoin broke down, and long-term momentum remains bullish for the cryptocurrency, according to Stockton.
"The breakout from earlier this month dictates a bullish bias beyond the coming weeks, having yielded a measured move projection of ~$3,000," Stockton said.
But the breakout in ether needs to be confirmed by consecutive daily closes above $2,550, according to Stockton.
If ether's breakout fails to hold, it can "follow the lead of bitcoin and test its 50-day moving average, which would also mark a test of its breakout point," Stockton said. Ether's 50-day moving average currently sits at $2,027, representing potential downside of 23% from current levels.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Zee-Sony merger: Here’s what Sony is really getting from Zee Entertainment
- The creation of a bad bank helps banks but not necessarily the bankrupt
- Two years after the PMC Bank crisis, depositors of stressed banks to get up to ₹5 lakh by December
- Tech Mahindra, Tata Motors and other auto, realty stocks keep indices in positive range
- Gig workers move Supreme Court seeking social security benefits from Zomato, Swiggy, Ola and Uber