Exxon is backing a natural gas mega-project in Qatar as global energy supplies buckle under pressures stemming from Russian's war on Ukraine
- ExxonMobil on Tuesday has entered an agreement to support the expansion of the world's largest liquefied natural gas project in
- ExxonMobil and
QatarEnergywill become partners in a new joint venture to develop the nearly $30 billion North Field East project.
ExxonMobil has entered a deal to support the expansion of the world's largest liquefied natural gas project, with the agreement arriving at a time when
ExxonMobil will help QatarEnergy further develop Qatar's North Field East project that will result in increasing the Middle East country's annual
ExxonMobil and QatarEnergy will become partners in a new joint venture in which QatarEnergy will hold a 75% interest with ExxonMobil holding the remaining 25% interest. The joint venture itself will own 25% of the entire North Field East project. Financial terms were not disclosed in the statement.
The deal implies a 6.25% stake for Exxon in the North Field East expansion, said QatarEnergy CEO Saad al-Kaabi, according to the report. Exxon and QatarEnergy announced the deal at QatarEnergy's headquarters in Doha.
The North Field East project will include four LNG trains with a combined capacity of 32 million tons per year.
"We are collaborating with QatarEnergy on North Field East to accelerate the production of secure, affordable and cleaner energy our world needs," Darren Woods, ExxonMobil's CEO, said in a Tuesday's joint statement.
Among the world's largest LNG exporters, Qatar is one of few countries that with the expanded gas flow can substantially replace Russian gas supplies to Europe, according to Bloomberg.
Europe this year launched a plan to step back from supplies of Russian natural gas in the wake of Moscow's war against Ukraine launched in late February.
Meanwhile, as Western demand for Russian crude oil has slumped, Russia has become the biggest oil supplier to China, according to data released Monday by the Chinese General Administration of Customs. Russia supplied 2.02 million barrels per day to China in May, up nearly 30% from the previous month, and up 55% from May 2021, to overtake Saudi Arabia's position as China's top supplier.
- I asked Microsoft's 'new Bing' to write me a cover letter for a job. It refused, saying this would be 'unethical' and 'unfair to other applicants.'
- Microsoft's ChatGPT-powered Bing browser now available publicly
- Don't be in a hurry to prepay but plan EMIs better, say experts as home loan burden set to rise
- RBI continues to ‘watch inflation’ closely even as industry hopes for a pause
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023