GameStop pares early gains after saying it plans to elect Reddit favorite Ryan Cohen as chairman
GameStoprose then fell after the company said it intends to elect Ryan Cohenas chairman.
- The Chewy founder has been leading the efforts to turn GameStop into an online force.
- GameStop said it intends to nominate five other people to its board, including a private equity executive.
GameStop shares rose on Thursday after the company announced it intends to elect activist investor Ryan Cohen as chairman, but quickly pared their gains.
The video-game retailer also nominated five other people for the board - including private equity executive Larry Cheng and Kraft Heinz senior vice president Yang Xu - as it tries to reinvent itself as an e-commerce force.GameStop's board also appointed one of those nominees, Jim Grube, to serve on the strategic planning committee. Grube was chief financial officer at Chewy, the online pet supply retailer founded by Cohen.
Cohen has become an increasingly powerful figure at GameStop in recent months. The billionaire's RC Ventures first invested in GameStop in September 2020, and is one of the biggest shareholders.GameStop stock opened around 4% higher but quickly fell back. It stood 0.44% lower at $177.38 at 10.10 a.m. ET.
Cohen was first appointed to the board in January, which analysts have cited as one of the catalysts for the dramatic rise in the stock which captured the markets' attention at the start of the year.He has since seized control of the company's strategy, hiring numerous executives with backgrounds in online retailing in an effort to turn the flagging company around. On Monday, GameStop said it plans to sell as many as 3.5 million shares to raise up to $1 billion to help fund Cohen's transformation plans.
Separately on Monday, GameStop said preliminary global sales during the first nine weeks of fiscal 2021 increased by about 11% from the period a year earlier.
- India records highest single-day rise of 2,61,500 COVID-19 cases and 1,501 deaths
- Odisha halts COVID-19 vaccination drive in 1,035 sites due to its acute shortage
- All Migrant workers coming to Uttar Pradesh to be quarantined
- Microsoft Remote Desktop for macOS updated with M1 chip support
- GoaMiles, a new state-backed cab aggregator service in tourists' hub has the taxi drivers on strike for 10 days