Goldman Sachs: India's economy will shrink 45% this quarter and suffer a brutal recession this year
Goldman Sachspredicts the Indian economywill shrink by an annualized 45% this quarter as the coronaviruspandemic takes a heavy toll.
- The bank's economists expect the nation's GDP to rebound 20% in the third quarter of the year, compared to the current quarter, as economic activity comes back.
- Goldman forecasts a 5% drop in real GDP this fiscal year, marking
India's most severe recessionsince 1979.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Goldman Sachs predicts the Indian economy will shrink by 45% on an annualized basis this quarter, and suffer its most severe recession since 1979 this fiscal year, as the coronavirus pandemic wreaks havoc on many of its industries.
The banking giant's latest quarterly growth forecast, detailed in a May 17 note, is significantly worse than its previous estimate of a 20% decline. More positively, its economists expect the Indian economy to rebound 20% in the third quarter, compared to the current quarter. They then anticipate 14% growthe in the fourth quarter and 6.5% growth in the first quarter of 2021.
Overall, Goldman's forecasts suggest India's GDP will slump 5% this fiscal year, which would be its steepest contraction since 1979.
Read More: 'We have a depression on our hands': The CIO of a bearish $150 million fund says the market will grind to new lows after the current bounce is over — and warns 'a lot more pain' is still to come
"There have been a series of structural reform announcements across several sectors over the past few days," they said in the note. "These reforms are more medium-term in nature, and we therefore do not expect these to have an immediate impact on reviving growth."
India has racked up more than 95,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus and more than 3,000 fatalities, according to the latest figures. The government has extended its
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Elon Musk told his 76-year-old dad Errol to 'keep quiet' in a text message after he said he wasn't proud of his son, report says
- Armed Trump supporters protest outside FBI office in Phoenix following Mar-a-Lago raid: reports
- How India can create opportunities for its new-age farmers
- Akasa Air founder, big bull Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passes at 62
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months