IndusInd Bank shares slide as a year-old Cayman Islands order against Hinduja Bank resurfaces
- The 27 year old Hinduja Bank is one of the three major financial institutions, owned by the conglomerate, aside from
IndusInd Bankand Hinduja Leyland Finance.
Cayman Islandsorder, from May 2020, said that the bank even failed to maintain the minimum net worthof 400,000 Cayman dollars and hasn’t submitted its audited financial statements since 2018.
- The Cayman Islands is popular as a tax haven for the world’s super rich and many multinational corporations.
The Cayman Islands, popular as a tax haven for the world’s super rich, had stripped the
In an order dated May 27, 2020, the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority, also said that the company “failed to prepare adequate” anti-money laundering policies. The director, Gilbert Pfaeffli, has been held ‘not fit and proper’ for the position.
AdvertisementHinduja Bank was established in 1994 as a Swiss Banking Institution. The group website says it offers, among other services, “innovative solutions in wealth management and private banking, trade finance, corporate advisory services and global investment solutions.”
The bank has presence in Dubai, London, Paris, New York, Chennai, Mumbai, Mauritius and Cayman Islands. The Cayman Islands order said that the bank even failed to maintain the minimum net worth of 400,000 Cayman dollars and hasn’t submitted its audited financial statements since 2018. A Cayman dollar is approximately ₹88, at current prices.
The more than a century old Hinduja Group led by Chairman Srichand Hinduja — with a net worth of over $15 billion shared with his brothers, Gopichand, Prakash and Ashok Hinduja — has international interests in a variety of industries from technology to finance, from media to oil and chemicals, and from real estate to healthcare.
The Indian government is doling out ₹1500 crore to reserve 300 million of Biological-E’s COVID-19 vaccine doses
Indians must brace for a further rise in petrol and diesel prices as crude oil scales a 2-year high
Five fintech ideas that are raking in the most amount of money
Popular on BI
- Best gaming mouse for battle royale games in India
- Best tablets for professional use in India
- Ethereum may offer the best returns, but investors have been pulling away over the last two weeks
- Google starts starts testing new safety section for apps, feature to go live in February 2022
- Horlicks and Boost maker HUL sees slowdown in food segment in the last three months