Investor bullishness is lowest in a year even as the stock market nears record highs, Bank of America survey finds
- Even as stocks near record highs, investors remain skeptical, according to a survey from Bank of America.
- Investor bullishness is sitting at a 1-year low amid concerns of rising inflation and supply chain disruptions.
- But third-quarter earnings are beating estimates and the S&P 500 is just 1% away from record highs.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
The survey found bullish sentiment currently sits at a one-year low while cash levels have jumped to a one-year high amid ongoing concerns about rising inflation and supply chain disruptions.
According to the BofA survey, the biggest risks the market faces are inflation, China's ongoing regulatory crackdown, COVID-19, and the Fed tapering its monthly bond purchasing program, among others. The survey found that the most crowded trades among investors include long technology stocks, long ESG, and short China and emerging
While bullish sentiment is down for stocks, investors are still putting their cash to work in areas like commodities, the survey found. Commodities are often viewed as a reliable inflationary hedge among investors, which remains top of mind.
Finally, the survey found that most investors expect at least one Fed interest rate increase next year, even as the Fed dot plot leans closer to 2023 for the start of its interest rate hike plans.
The bearish investor sentiment is ultimately a buy signal for contrarian investors, as it can often represent fuel for stocks to climb a wall of worry as fears dissipate, favorable seasonality begins to pick up during the last three months of the year, and skeptical investors throw in the towel and buy.
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Qatar Airways says it is not accepting passengers on its flights from 2 African nations immediately due to the new Omicron variant
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days