Jeff Bezos sold $2.5 billion in Amazon stock as he prepares to step down as CEO - and could sell more worth $6.54 billion
- SEC filings show
Jeff Bezossold 739,000 Amazonshares worth $2.5 billion this week.
- The sales were part of a pre-arranged trading plan under which Bezos could sell another 2 million shares.
- Amazon exceeded expectations in its first quarter earnings that were released last week.
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos sold around $2.5 billion in
Bezos still owns over 10% of Amazon and retains his position as the richest man in the world, according to the Bloomberg Billionaire Index.
He also has the option of selling an additional 2 million shares, another SEC filing shows, which would be worth around $6.54 billion based on Amazon's latest share price of $3,270.54 as of market close on Wednesday. This would lower Bezos' share ownership to around 50 million in total, down from around 53 million at the end of 2020.
This week's stock sales were part of a pre-arranged trading plan, meaning the amount of shares and timing were agreed with the SEC in advance. These plans are designed to protect company insiders from inadvertently breaking the law by trading their shares when they possess undisclosed information that could impact share prices.
Additionally, they ensure that potential investors are not scared into thinking that
This is not the first time that Bezos has sold Amazon shares. In 2020, he made over $10 billion from selling some of his stake in the company.
Amazon exceeded expectations when it published its first quarter earnings last week. Revenue was up 44% to $108 billion in the first quarter and profits rose to $8.1 billion. Strong e-commerce and cloud service performance boosted the company and led it to its fourth record breaking quarter in a row.
Amazon stock initially spiked as much as 2% after the quarterly report, but share prices have fallen by almost 6% since.
In February, Bezos announced that he will be stepping down as the CEO of Amazon and will instead become executive chairman of the company in the third quarter of 2021. He founded the company in 1994 and developed it to become one of the biggest tech companies in the world.
- MrBeast called out TikTok for allowing a deepfake version of him hawking $2 iPhones to run wild on the app: 'This is a serious problem'
- How an OnlyFans creator earned $60,000 from a 'marathon' livestream
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- 10 famous book markets in Mumbai every reader should explore
- Asian Games: Indian men's hockey team storms into final, defeats South Korea 5-3
- Govt hikes LPG subsidy for Ujjwala beneficiaries to Rs 300 per cylinder
- Checkout the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 matches that will be played in Chennai
- Rockstud Capital announces partial exit from Uber’s fleet service provider