Jeff Bezos sold $5 billion of Amazon stock in 4 days, ahead of stepping down as CEO
Jeff Bezossold nearly $5 billion of Amazon stockthis week.
Amazoncofounder may have sold the shares to fund Blue Originor the Bezos Earth Fund.
- Bezos is set to resign as CEO and become executive chairman later this year.
- See more stories on Insider's business page.
Bezos has previously said he sells $1 billion of stock a year to fund Blue Origin, his aerospace company. He has also committed $10 billion to fund the Bezos Earth Fund, an organization dedicated to combating the climate crisis. It's unclear whether the proceeds from his latest sales will be used to fund either of those ventures.The Amazon cofounder told employees in February that he plans to step down as CEO in the third quarter of this year. Andy Jassy, head of Amazon Web Services, is set to replace him. Bezos will become Amazon's executive chairman and focus on "new products and early initiatives," he said.
Bezos is the world's richest person, with a $192 billion fortune, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Tesla CEO Elon Musk, number two on the list with a net worth of $184 billion, isn't too far behind.Amazon's share price surged more than 74% last year as investors bet on a surge in online shopping and greater demand for cloud services during the pandemic. The stock was only up about 3% year-to-date as of Friday's close.
- Here’s how to recharge your Reliance Jio on WhatsApp
- India may classify Bitcoin as an asset class, but that may not solve the underlying problem
- Facebook rolls out new chat themes and payment options in Messenger app for US users
- Dodla Dairy's ₹520 crore IPO isn't to expand into new markets but to strengthen its foothold where it already exists
- Sun TV Network's advertising revenue shrinks, but profit jumps 11% on subscriptions