Jim Simons' RenTech fund has fielded over $5 billion of client withdrawals in under 10 weeks, report says
Renaissance Technologieshas fielded over $5 billion in withdrawal requests in less than 10 weeks.
- Jim Simons' quantitative hedge fund posted double-digit losses in its three public funds in 2020.
- However, RenTech's flagship
Medallionfund gained 76% last year.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Jim Simons' Renaissance Technologies has been hit by more than $5 billion in redemptions since December 1, Bloomberg reported on Monday.
Simons, a former NSA codebreaker and MIT math professor, founded RenTech in 1982. The firm is now the world's largest quantitative hedge fund with about $60 billion in client assets, and boasts one of the best track records on Wall Street.
Yet its clients withdrew a net $1.85 billion from its three public funds in December. They also asked to withdraw another $1.9 billion in January, and have requested $1.65 billion so far this month, Bloomberg said.
RenTech's investors are pulling their money after the firm's international equities fund lost 19% in 2020, its institutional diversified alpha fund tumbled 32% over the same period, and its institutional diversified global equities fund slumped 31%.
The trio stomached those losses because they were underhedged when the
Simons and his team bemoaned the "terrible" performance, but said that even the best investments occasionally perform "horribly," Bloomberg said.
In contrast, the firm's flagship Medallion fund - which is only open to owners, employees, and their families - gained 76% last year, Institutional Investor reported last month. It has delivered average annual returns of about 40% since its launch in 1988.
Simons stepped down as RenTech's chairman last month, but continues to serve as a board member.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- Srei Group may leave a $4 billion hole in some of India’s biggest banks
- Best glass feeding bottle for newborn babies in India
- Best toddler bags for kids in India
- Best smartwatch under ₹15000 in India
- Compensation of ₹50,000 to kin of those who died of COVID-19, recommends Indian government
- SpaceX CEO Elon Musk reveals 'challenges' with toilet during Inspiration4 mission, promises upgrades in future