Merck sells its investment stake in Moderna after recording a 'substantial' gain
- Following an eye-popping rally in 2020,
Mercksaid on Wednesday that it sold its entire stake in Moderna.
- Merck, which is collaborating with Moderna on potential cancer treatments, invested in Moderna in 2015 and 2018.
- Merck said it recorded a "substantial gain" in its investment in Moderna, and still holds indirect exposure to Moderna through its investments in venture funds.
- Shares of Moderna initially traded lower on the news, but have since recovered in Wednesday trades.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In a statement on Wednesday, Merck said it sold its equity stake in Moderna in the first half of the fourth quarter, adding that it achieved a "substantial gain" on its holdings.Shares of Moderna traded down as much as 9% in early morning trades, but have since recovered as of Wednesday afternoon.
Year-to-date through the start of the fourth quarter, shares of Moderna were up 255%. The stock has continued to rally in the fourth quarter, with Moderna hitting an all-time high of $178.50 in Tuesday's
Merck said it still holds indirect exposure to Moderna's equity through venture funds.Merck did not specify how much it booked in profits on the investment. The company said it will record the gain in the "other income" section of its income statement when it reports earnings. The two biotech companies continue to collaborate on potential cancer vaccine treatments.
- OYO’s ‘Hockey’ print campaign is winning the internet; there’s a lot more in store, says its head of global brand Mayur Hola
- 77 cases of Indian COVID-19 variant found in the UK
- Karnataka CM Yediyurappa and MP from Punjab Harshmit Kaur Badal test COVID-19 positive
- Pakistan temporarily shuts down social media amid anti-France protests
- Four charts show how COVID-19 vaccines are being distributed in India