Nifty tops 17,000 points to set a new record — the fastest 1,000 point rally in the history of India’s benchmark index
- India’s benchmark equity index has a new record high led by metal stocks, public sector banks and drug makers.
- Nifty 50 added more than 1,000 points in less than a month. The index reached 17,000 points on Tuesday from 15,855 points on August 2.
- Check out the latest market news and updates on Business Insider.
AdvertisementIt took less than a month for Nifty 50, India’s benchmark equity index, to climb to 17,000 from 16,000. The index of India’s top fifty stocks was at 15,855 on August 2.
The biggest gainers on the Nifty were Adani Ports, Bajaj Finserv, and Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), followed by Bharti Airtel, which surged more than 2% as investors cheered the proposed ₹21,000 crore rights issue. Adani Group stocks topped the list of gainers on the Nifty 200.
Aside from being a new high, this is also the fastest 1,000 point gain for the index, according to news channel CNBC-TV18. BSE Sensex, too, scaled above 57,143 at 12:30 p.m., on August 31.
The latest leg of the rally was fuelled by a fresh wave of buying by foreign portfolio investors after the US Federal Reserve seemed to be less fearful of rising inflation at home.
Net buying by foreign institutional investors (FIIs) stood at ₹1,202.81 crore (around $1.6 million at current exchange rates), while domestic institutional investors (DIIs) net bought shares worth ₹688.85 crore, as per provisional data from the National Stock Exchange (NSE) on August 30.
This also allowed the rupee to hit its highest level against the dollar today (Aug 31).
Information technology (IT), banks, metals and pharmaceutical stocks saw good buying in the month of August.
|Top 5 gainers on Nifty 50||% change||Top 5 losers||% change|
|Adani Ports and SEZ||2.59%||Tata Motors||-1.28%|
|Bharti Airtel||2.35%||Nestle India||-0.85%|
|Indian Oil Corp||2.33%||IndusInd Bank||-0.75%|
|Bajaj Finserv||2.37%||Reliance Industries||0.63%|
SEE ALSO: Bengaluru based Studio Sirah raises $830,000 to develop India-first mobile games — ‘Kurukshetra: Ascension’ will be the first title
Ami Organics wants to become debt-free post the IPO, to cut dependence on China in the coming years
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Meet the newest employee at Elon Musk's SpaceX. He's 14.
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar