Oil and gas incomes in emerging markets could drop by 85% this year on coronavirus fears, energy watchdogs say
- Energy market leaders from the IEA and OPEC have estimated that income from oil and gas could fall between 50% and 85% in emerging markets as a result of coronavirus.
- Oil prices have fallen more than 50% since the start of 2020 following a slump in demand and a price war between Russia and OPEC+ members.
- Many oil-producing emerging economies are reliant on energy to fund key public services and will be hit hard by the drop.
The continued fall in oil and gas prices will have a profound impact on the income of economies dependent on natural resources, according to leading oil industry figures.
In a phone call, the IEA's Dr Fatih Birol and Secretary General of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Mohammad Sanusi Barkindo discussed the fall out from the crash in energy prices from coronavirus.
They noted that "if current market conditions continue, their income from oil and gas will fall by 50% to 85% in 2020, reaching the lowest levels in more than two decades." Oil-producing countries such as Russia, Venezuela, and Saudi Arabia are highly dependent on energy prices to pay for public services. "This is likely to have major social and economic consequences, notably for public sector spending in vital areas such as healthcare and education," the pair added in a release.
Oil prices have fallen more than 50% since the start of 2020 following a slump in demand and a price war between Russia and OPEC+ members. Travel bans by the US and various European countries has also contributed to prices cratering.
As of 11.20 a.m. in London (7.20 a.m. ET) Brent Crude prices were up 1.1% to $30 a barrel while WTI prices rose 2.5% to $29.8 a barrel.
Get the latest Oil WTI price here.
- Beijing says it's 'natural' for the US to 'feel sour' after Boeing loses out to Airbus on $37 billion China plane deal
- Ukraine's drones are becoming increasingly ineffective as Russia ramps up its electronic warfare and air defenses
- Coinbase-backed Indian crypto exchange Vauld suspends trading, deposits and withdrawals amid market downturn
- Best face wash for men in India
- Bajaj in top gear, Hero flat while Maruti declines – here’s how Indian auto cos performed in June 2022
- Revenge shopping and revenge travelling trends are simmering down in India
- Bengaluru, Delhi, Hyderabad, and Mumbai among top-20 cities in Asia-Pacific for sustainable commercial real estate
- Sensex gains 327 points on firm global markets and buying in index majors