Elon Musk tweet praising techno song sparks brief 55% spike in obscure gold miner with similar name
Elon Musksparked a frenzy in shares of Sandstorm Gold after he tweeted praise for a similarly named techno song.
- Musk tweeted on Thursday morning, "Sandstorm is a masterpiece."
- Shares of Sandstorm Gold surged as much as 55% in pre-market
tradingafter Musk's tweet.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Elon Musk's tweets are continuing to move obscure
This time on Thursday, the stock in question was Sandstorm Gold, a $1.3 billion gold miner that trades on the New York Stock Exchange and is based in Canada.Sandstorm Gold surged as much as 55% in pre-market trades on Thursday after Elon Musk tweeted, "Sandstorm is a masterpiece."
The gains were short lived, with the stock trading down 1% by the time the market opened for regular trading hours at 9:30 AM.In response to Musk's tweet, Darude tweeted, "Man, IF this was a reference to my track, THANK YOU! If not, I'll just get my coat..."
The frenzy in shares of Sandstorm Gold is similar to last month's advance in Signal Advance, which surged nearly 12,000% after Musk tweeted his support for the similarly named private messaging service, Signal.Musk's Thursday tweets also moved a cryptocurrency after he tweeted his support for Dogecoin, which surged 59% in Thursday trades. Musk posted an edited image from the movie "Lion King" that showed himself holding up the Doge meme. He followed up the photo with the simple message "Dogecoin is the people's crypto."
With 45 million Twitter followers, Musk's power to move
Read more: Investors are flocking to trade Dogecoin and other hot digital tokens with no Robinhood-style restrictions on Voyager. The CEO tells us why Bitcoin will hit $100,000 this year - and 3 other cryptocurrencies to watch
- JP Morgan is doling out billions to fund the ‘Dirty Dozen’ Super League — the biggest disruption in the history of club football
- Domino’s India data breach allegedly exposes 1 million credit card details, 180 million order details
- Delhi’s one week curfew: checkout what is permitted and what is not
- TV ad volumes see a 3% drop during Jan-March 21 over previous quarter: TAM AdEx
- OPPO launches A54 smartphone in three variants in India starting at ₹13,490