Shoppers Stop shares jump 15% after company reports its first profit in more than two years
- Shoppers Stop reported a consolidated revenue of ₹972 crore for the December quarter.
- The Indian department store chain noted that their return to “profitability” comes with zero net debt.
- Shoppers Stop’s sales have also grown by 34% in the festive season of October to December.
AdvertisementShoppers Stop’s stock went up 15% on Friday morning after the company reported a profit for the first time in 10 months. The company’s shares were trading at ₹417 at 9:49 a.m., on January 21.
The Indian department store chain — which sells everything from apparel to cosmetics — reported a consolidated revenue of ₹972 crore for the December quarter (Q3 of fiscal year 2022). Its profit also went up to ₹77 crore from ₹25 crore loss in the same quarter a year ago.
The company noted that their return to “profitability” comes with zero net debt.
"We are witnessing positive signs from a strategy that we initiated in the last 2 years. As the fashion and beauty retail is seeing encouraging early trends from the Wardrobe Reboot, we are rightly poised to capture the pent-up demand," Venu Nair, the managing director and chief executive (CEO) of Shoppers Stop, said.
He also mentioned that the customer sentiment is positive due to the double vaccinations, fewer COVID-19 related restrictions and an overall improvement in safety protocols.
Shoppers Stop’s sales have also grown by 34%, compared to last year, in the festive season of October to December.
The average transaction value (ATV) — average amount that a consumer spends in a single transaction — increased by over ₹500 in the last one year. Meanwhile, the company’s average selling price (ASP) increased to nearly ₹1,500.
Source: Shoppers Stop earnings
|Metric||Oct-December 2020||Oct-December 2021|
|Average Selling Price||₹1,224||₹1,479|
|Average Transaction Value||₹3,815||₹4,345|
Reliance Industries earnings today; HUL, ICICI Bank and Vodafone Idea also in focus on January 21
India reports more than 3 lakh COVID-19 cases for the second consecutive day, 703 deaths in last 24 hours
Last day to subscribe to AGS Transact IPO, GMP drops to ₹10
Popular on BI
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- What would happen to Twitter if Elon Musk backs out now?
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani