Small business owners are becoming more optimistic and expect a 'short-lived' recession, survey shows
small business optimismindex rose to 94.4 in May from 90.9 in April, the National Federation of Independent Business survey released Tuesday showed.
- The survey's uncertainty index jumped seven points to 82, but expected conditions in the next six months also ticked up five points to a net 34%, according to the survey.
- "It's still uncertain when consumers will feel comfortable returning to small businesses and begin spending again, but owners are taking the necessary precautions to reopen safely," said NFIB's Chief Economist Bill Dunkelberg.
Small businesses are feeling more optimistic about the future and expect any recession to be "short-lived" as the US
Small business optimism rose 3.5 points to 94.4 in May, the
There is some fear of the unknown as owners reopen shop and begin to call back their employees — the survey's uncertainty index increased seven points to 82 in May. Still, expected business conditions in the next six months jumped five points to net 34%, after a 24-point leap in April.Read more: MORGAN STANLEY: Buy these 11 stocks right now to reap the strongest possible market-beating returns over the next 3 months
Owners are "optimistic about future business conditions and expect the recession to be short-lived," according to NFIB. On Monday, the official arbiter of recession start dates said the US officially fell into a recession in February.Sales expectations also recovered from a record slump in the previous month. In May, the measure increased 18 points to net negative 24%, from a low of negative 42% reached in April. More companies said in May that they plan to invest and hire, but in small numbers. A seasonally adjusted 8% of small business owners also said that they plan to create new jobs in May. This new job creation is driven in part by the Paycheck Protection Program, which forgives loans to businesses if they're mostly used for paying employees, according to NFIB.
- Best soundbar with Dolby Atmos in India 2021
- Best soundbars with a wireless subwoofer
- Myntra signs up Hrithik Roshan, Vijay Deverakonda and Dulquer Salmaan as its newest brand ambassadors
- Google is now using Chrome as an added security layer for account sign-ins
- How to check the IMEI number on your phone