Something weird just went down in the stock market, and Wall Street is speculating it's the result of a fund liquidation
- A selling spree on Wall Street erased $35 billion from the values of stocks of major companies Friday.
selloffappears to be in part the result of the "forced liquidation of positions" held by Archegos Capital Management, CNBC reported. Goldman Sachsliquidated $10.5 billion worth of stocks in block trades, Bloomberg reported.
A selling spree erased $35 billion from the stock values of major Chinese tech and US media companies Friday, and Wall Street is speculating it was in part driven by the forced liquidation of an investment firm's holdings.
The group did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment and its website appeared to be offline on Saturday.Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley liquidated large holdings this week, the news site IPO Edge was first to report, adding that the two
Bloomberg reported Saturday that Goldman Sachs liquidated $10.5 billion worth of stocks in block trades, where banks look to find buyers for big stock positions. The block trades included $6.6 billion worth of shares of Baidu, Tencent and Vipshop before the US market opened on Friday morning, Bloomberg reported, citing an email to clients.Goldman then sold $3.9 billion worth of shares in media giants ViacomCBS and Discovery, as well as luxury fashion retailer Farfetch, and others, according to the report. Goldman Sachs declined to comment.
Morgan Stanley also led share offerings on behalf of an undisclosed shareholder or shareholders, Bloomberg reported. Some of the trades exceeded $1 billion in individual companies, Bloomberg reported, citing its own data.
- Tech giants Google, Amazon, and Apple back work authorisation in US for spouses of H-1B visa holders
- This new book about saving a forest as big as 178,000 football fields is only partly fictional
- Cyclone Tauktae causes heavy rains in Kerala — coastal areas are badly affected
- How to take screenshot on your Iphone
- How to change theme of your Instagram chat