'SPAC king' Chamath Palihapitiya is planning a $1 billion listing of a climate company, according to reports
Chamath Palihapitiyais eyeing a $1 billion UK listing for a new company.
- The venture will focus on climate change and won't be a
- Palihapitiya plans to make acquisitions and develop his own operations.
- See more stories on Insider's business page.
Billionaire investor Chamath Palihapitiya is taking his hunt for businesses to Britain.
Palihapitiya, the CEO of Social Capital and a former Facebook executive, has spearheaded the boom in special-purpose acquisition vehicles (SPACs). He has used them to take Virgin Galactic, Opendoor, and Clover Health public, and has several more deals lined up.
The new UK vehicle won't be structured as a SPAC, but it will seek to make several acquisitions, sources told Bloomberg. It will also work on internal solutions to environmental problems, they said.
Palihapitiya, who will reportedly serve as CEO of the new company, has been shifting his gaze towards environmental investments recently. In January, he invested in commercial EV manufacturer Proterra ahead of its merger with blank-check firm ArcLight Clean Transition Corp.
He also sold his entire personal stake in Virgin Galactic for more than $200 million last week to help
- Best sandwich makers in India
- Orange alerts issued to 3 states by the weather department – what does it mean?
- Best moisturizer for face in India for daily use
- You can pre-book iPhone 14 even before its launch, only if you are willing to pay $9,520 for it
- Twitter seeks judicial review against new content blocking directives from the IT Ministry