Square gains 10% as the payments company rides bitcoin's record-breaking rise
- Shares of payments company
Squaresurged as much as 10% on Monday after Teslaannounced it is investing $1.5 billion into Bitcoin.
- Square, led by Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, announced last October that it had purchased 4,709 bitcoins at average price of $10,617 per coin.
- Earlier in February, Dorsey reinforced his support for the popular
cryptocurrencyby launching his own "node."
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Shares of payments company Square surged 10% on Monday after Tesla announced it is investing $1.5 billion into Bitcoin. The electric carmaker also said it may begin accepting the currency as payment, according to a regulatory filing.
Square launched bitcoin
"We believe that bitcoin has the potential to be a more ubiquitous currency in the future," said Square's Chief Financial Officer, Amrita Ahuja in a statement.
Square is headed by Jack Dorsey, who is a longtime cryptocurrency advocate. Earlier in February, Dorsey reinforced his support for the popular cryptocurrency by launching his own "node," a component in a blockchain's infrastructure that guarantees the security and accuracy of data and is crucial to keeping the bitcoin network working.
On Twitter, the Square founder shared an image of the node synchronizing with the bitcoin blockchain with the caption: "Running #bitcoin."
Tesla's bitcoin investment is being looked at as a historic moment the history of the cryptocurrency to date.
"This moment will likely be looked upon in years to come as a genuine tipping point," Dermot O'Riordan, partner at the blockchain-focused private-equity firm Eden Block, told Insider. "Elon and Tesla's support legitimizes crypto and opens up bitcoin to a whole new class of retail and institutional investors. Now it seems all of Wall Street is in bed with this industry - if they weren't paying attention before, they are now."
Shares of Square traded at $258.15 at 3:30PM E.T. on Monday. Bitcoin surged to news highs on Monday morning, topping $44,000.
- Close-ups of footage said to show Gabby Petito's van near where a body was found appear to show the rear door closing
- Elon Musk pulled his 'last remaining house' off the market after vowing last year to get rid of nearly all his possessions
- It's never been more clear: companies should give up on back to office and let us all work remotely, permanently
- Thums Up's latest ad celebrates the grit and determination of Indian fast bowler Mohammad Siraj
- This brand is airing ads made on PPT during IPL to convey the importance of saving money
- Srei Group may leave a $4 billion hole in some of India’s biggest banks
- Buying support pushes equities higher; ONGC, UPL, Bajaj Finance, JSW Steel rise
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh