Tata Motors rallies 15% as TPG’s billion dollars spark a series of upgrades for the stock
- Shares of Tata Motors rallied 15% as private equity firm TPG’s Rise Climate Fund has committed to invest ₹7,500 crore (around $1 billion at current prices) in the company’s EV business.
- The development has turned analysts positive on the company’s EV dreams as they believe Tata Motors’ volumes will surge in the near term due to lack of competition.
- The automaker aims to create a portfolio of 10 electric vehicles in the next five years.
Private equity firm TPG’s Rise Climate Fund along with Abu Dhabi Development Holding will make an investment worth ₹7500 crore (around $1 billion at current prices) in Tata Motors’ electric vehicles (EV) segment, it had said.
Analysts believe the development will turn fortunes for the company reeling from its Jaguar Land Rover business.
Advertisement“Lack of competition in the near term may continue to benefit Tata’s EV volumes though progress has to be tracked,” said analysts at HSBC while raising the target price for the stock to ₹550.
At 9:36 a.m., on Wednesday, shares of the company were trading nearly 15% higher at ₹483.
Meanwhile, Kotak Institutional Equities and Nomura upgraded their rating for the stock to “BUY”.
|Brokerages||New target prices for Tata Motors’ stock|
|Kotak Institutional Equities||₹500|
“We believe the domestic EV business can be the game changer for the company given strong government push amid favorable policies and growing consumer demand for greener solutions,” said a report by Kotak Institutional Equities.
Tata Motors’ domestic passenger vehicle business currently has 71% market share in the EV segment with revenues of around ₹5-6 billion as of FY2021, according to Kotak’s report.
SEE ALSO: TPG makes a billion dollar bet on Tata Motors’ EV dreams
AdvertisementFrom home sales and jewellery to power consumption, these are all the sectors that are back to pre-pandemic levels
Reliance Industries, Tata Motors, Infosys, Wipro and other hot stocks on October 13
Popular on BI
- 479 leaked photos purporting to show Putin's secret palace, with an ice rink and pole-dancing room, published by Navalny foundation
- SEBI is hiring young graduate professionals for a monthly stipend of ₹60,000, last date is January 25
- The first pig-heart transplant patient was denied a human heart after failing to follow doctors' orders
- Decentralised file sharing, movie streaming, and much more — these are top five Web3 cryptocurrencies to keep an eye on in 2022
- This Indian couple plans to get married in a Hogwarts-themed metaverse to beat the pandemic's restrictions
- Here are some of Netaji’s inspirational quotes as India remembers its valiant fighter
- Lifecycle of cryptocurrencies – From creation to trade and destruction
- Reliance Industries net profit more than triples in the last eight quarters to $2.8 billion