The Biden administration is working with Colonial Pipeline to restore service 'quickly' after a ransomware attack on the country's top fuel pipeline operator
- The Biden administration is working with
Colonial Pipelineto get service restored, a top official said.
- It's "all hands on deck" following the ransomware attack on Colonial, said Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo.
- Colonial Pipeline transports approximately 45% of all
fuelconsumed on the East Coast.
Operations at the largest US refined fuel pipeline, Colonial Pipeline, remained shut down on Sunday following a ransomware attack, but the Biden administration is working with the company to quickly get operations back to normal, a top official said.Colonial said Saturday it had halted operations on its 5,500 miles of pipeline from Texas to the East Coast following a cyber attack and was working to restore service as quickly as possible. Colonial's pipelines transport approximately 45% of all fuel consumed on the East Coast.
Colonial Pipeline is the country's largest refined products pipeline operator, transporting more than 100 million gallons of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, and home heating oil, daily. It also serves seven airports, including Atlanta's Hartsfield Jackson Airport.Colonial has not said when it expects to restore service but a prolonged shutdown could roil fuel
Cybersecurity experts have long warned that critical parts of the national infrastructure could be vulnerable to a cyber attack. The Biden administration last month rolled out an initiative to ramp up the cybersecurity of the nation's power grid.Raimondo said addressing the threat of cyber attacks on businesses and infrastructure is a "top priority for the administration." "Unfortunately, these sorts of attacks are becoming more frequent," she said. "They're here to stay and we have to work in partnership with businesses to secure- secure networks, to defend ourselves against these attacks."
Colonial said the attack on its system involved ransomware but it did not give further details or suggest who might have carried it out. It said it has hired a third-party cybersecurity firm.
- BSE and NSE suspends trading in shares of Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Ltd (DHFL) from Monday
- Byju's most valuable startup in India and 11th in the world with a valuation of $16.5 billion
- India witnesses decline in daily COVID-19 cases with 80,834 fresh cases in last 24 hours, lowest since April 1
- Delhi reports its lowest daily COVID-19 cases in 104 days, records 213 single day COVID-19 cases
- Here’s how to recharge your Reliance Jio on WhatsApp