The Fed has 'lost control', and the historic spike in bond yields points to a looming stock-market crash, Bank of America says
- The recent spike in
interest rateshas Bank of America warning of a potential stock marketcrash, according to a Friday note.
- The bank sees 1987 as a potential roadmap for 2021, in which a continued spike in yields helped spark weakness in the market.
- "Unless the Fed fights back very soon with more treasury/MBS purchases, a similar fate likely lies ahead," BofA warned.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Last week's spike in interest rates has Bank of America analysts on edge about a potential stock market crash.
In a note on Friday, the bank highlighted the historic yield spike in mortgage-backed securities and compared the current environment to 1987, when a continued jump in MBS yields preceded a stock market crash of more than 20%.In 1987, an interest rate shock in April was followed by further rate increases that ultimately led to the October stock market crash, BofA said.
"The question is whether the Fed wants to respond now with more treasury and MBS purchases or wait for an even larger risk-off event before doing so," BofA explained.A surprise from the Fed would likely temper bond vigilantes and lead to a decline in interest rates, helping stave off a substantial stock market crash like in October 1987.
"Unless Fed fights back very soon with more treasury/MBS purchases, a similar fate likely lies ahead," BofA warned.
- SaaS unicorn Druva, which manages data for NASA, Pfizer, and GameStop, raises $147 million; valuation crosses $2 billion
- Allahabad High Court orders complete lockdown in UP's Lucknow, Prayagraj, Kanpur, Varanasi and Gorakhpur districts till April 26
- Punjab government imposes stricter curbs including extension of night curfew timings in surge of COVID-19 cases
- You can now transfer your Facebook posts to WordPress and Blogger
- Delhi Capitals vs Mumbai Indians, the finalists from last season meet in the 13th match of IPL 2021