The Fed is looking carefully at issuing a digital dollar, Chairman Jerome Powell tells Congress
Federal ReserveChairman Jerome Powelltold Congress on Tuesday that it is looking carefully at issuing a digital US dollar.
- Powell called the potential
digital dollara "high priority" project, according to the testimony.
- The potential issuance of a digital dollar would come amid a surge in
cryptocurrencieslike bitcoin, which briefly surpassed $1 trillion in market value last week.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell
Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell told Congress on Tuesday that the
A digital currency developed by the fed is a "high priority project for us," Powell told Congress, but he added that there are "significant technical and policy questions" related to a digital US dollar.
"We are committed to solving the technology problems, and consulting very broadly with the public and very transparently with all interested constituencies as to whether we should do this," Powell said.
As the world's reserve currency, Powell stressed that the US doesn't have to be first in issuing a digital dollar, but it needs "to get it right."
"This is something we're investing time and labor in, across the Federal Reserve system," Powell said.
The move would come amid a surge in popularity for cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and ethereum. Bitcoin briefly reached $1 trillion in market value last week and traded above $58,000 over the weekend.
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- DeSantis says Congress should act if Apple follows through on Elon Musk claims and bans Twitter from App Store
- India Inc.’s rockstars of Q2 and things that investors should look out for, according to analysts
- Best refrigerator under ₹15000
- Asus ROG Phone 6 review: A bit more than just gaming
- Fintech unicorn CRED to acquire SaaS startup CreditVidya
- Jio Haptik and CASHe partner to deliver instant credit lines on Whatsapp