The first US cannabis ETF surpassed $1 billion in AUM in its first 6 months of trading
AdvisorSharesPure US Cannabis ETFhas surpassed $1 billion in AUM in just six months.
- The fund was the first US ETF to focus solely on American cannabis companies and multi-state operations.
- The ETF has returned 110% since its inception.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
The AdvisorShares Pure US Cannabis ETF has surpassed $1 billion in assets under management, according to a company statement released Tuesday.
The ETF, which trades under the ticker MSOS, launched on September 2, 2020 and has grown from $2.5 million in assets to now $1 billion in just six months. The fund has returned 110% since its inception and 37% in 2021 alone.
The AdvisorShares ETF was the first US exchange traded fund to focus solely on American cannabis companies and multi-state operations (MSOs), or companies directly involved in the legal production and distribution of cannabis.
The fund's inflows are a sign of growing investor interest in the cannabis space amid speculation that the Biden administration will keep its campaign promises and decriminalize marijuana. Some Democrats in Congress have pushed even further, advocating for the full legalization of cannabis in the US.
"There's a lot of excitement surrounding the cannabis investment space right now and for a variety of reasons," said Dan Ahrens, AdvisorShares' chief operating officer and portfolio manager of MSOS. "We firmly believe that the U.S. cannabis market provides a compelling long-term investment opportunity that clearly differentiates itself from other areas of the globe."
Other cannabis ETFs have also performed well in 2021. Even after shedding gains from earlier this month, the ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF is up 63% year-to-date, while the Amplify Seymour Cannabis ETF is up 81% year-to-date.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May