The Mormon Church's secretive $100 billion fund grew its Tesla stake by 3,500% last year
Mormon Church's $100 billion fund grew its Teslastake by about 3,500% in 2020.
- Ensign Peak Advisors' position ballooned in value from $1 million to $330 million.
- Tesla ranked among the fund's 25 most-valuable holdings in December.
- See more stories on Insider's business page.
View all Offers
- 45% OFF
Amazon Brand - Solimo Swerve Height Adjustable Plastic Laptop & Utility Table with Cup Holder (Black)₹ 1169₹ 2200Buy On
MBTC Alaska Mesh Office Revolving Desk Chair₹ 3189₹ 4999Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Medusa Engineered Wood Wardrobe with Mirror Wenge , 2 Doors₹ 8809₹ 15000Buy On
AmazonBasics High Back Executive Chair (Brown, Leather)₹ 9999₹ 18000Buy On
- 21% OFF
MBTC Xcelo Mesh Office Chair (Black)₹ 3399₹ 4999Buy On
Ensign increased its stake more than five-fold in the second quarter of 2020, then raised it by more than 50% the following quarter. Still not satisfied, it roughly quadrupled its position to 467,000 shares as of December 31 last year.
The fund's aggressive buying, coupled with a 700% increase in Tesla's stock price last year, led to its stake skyrocketing in value from $1 million to $330 million in the space of 12 months. Tesla was the 23rd most-valuable holding in Ensign's US stock portfolio as of December, up from 1,487th on the list a year earlier. The most valuable was Apple, at just over $2 billion.
Tesla's admission to the S&P 500 in December likely factored into Ensign's decision to bolster their position. However, their purchases over the past year suggest they're bullish on the stock despite its valuation. The company's market capitalization sits above $600 billion - more than 19 times its total revenue and over 800 times its net income last year.
Tesla's true believers see it as a trailblazer in the clean-energy revolution, poised to capture a big chunk of a market worth trillions of dollars. Meanwhile, critics question its eye-watering valuation, tiny scale relative to established automakers, and Musk's erratic leadership. The Mormon Church is betting big that the first group are right.
- Ethereum may not have too long to get its high gas fee issue in check, according to JPMorgan
- Terra's LUNA token continues to hold its own even in a crypto bear market — here's why
- SEBI is hiring young graduate professionals for a monthly stipend of ₹60,000, last date is January 25
- HUL spent Rs 1,193 crore on advertising between October and December 2021
- Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant and Ravichandran Ashwin included in ICC Men's Test team of the Year 2021