'The trade of a lifetime': Silver Lake and Mudrick have reaped huge gains from their AMC investments as Reddit traders send the stock soaring
Silver LakeGroup made "the trade of a lifetime" on AMCEntertainment, according to one hedge fund manager.
- Another firm,
Mudrick Capital, made a similarly successful wager earlier this month.
- The two firms were able to convert distressed debt into equity in AMC after Wednesday's share-price jump.
- "The market did not believe AMC would be able to get through the downturn — we did," said Jason Mudrick, founder and CIO of Mudrick Capital.
Investment firm Silver Lake Group has made the "trade of a lifetime" on AMC Entertainment, one credit hedge fund manager told the Financial Times.
The trade involved Silver Lake swapping risky debt in the downtrodden theater chain for stock. Now, with AMC shares up as much as 370% this week, the wager has paid off handsomely.
The surge this week triggered $600 million worth of Silver Lake's
Mudrick Capital is another firm that made a similar trade earlier this month. It exchanged $100 million in debt for nearly 13 million shares, which are currently worth $273 million, according to the FT report.
"The market did not believe AMC would be able to get through the downturn - we did," Jason Mudrick, founder and CIO of Mudrick, told Bloomberg.
"AMC has done a great job in capitalizing on investors' appetite for its shares," added Matt Zloto, co-head of U.S. high-yield research at CreditSights.
The company now says it has enough cash to survive until July at current attendance levels. It also on Wednesday finished issuing another $304 million of equity at a price of $4.80.
Read more: 'Anarchy never works': Webull CEO Anthony Denier told us why the SEC should intervene as an army of Reddit traders takes over the market - and said membership exploded as people jumped ship from Robinhood
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Qatar Airways says it is not accepting passengers on its flights from 2 African nations immediately due to the new Omicron variant
- Gautam Adani, the man who may soon be Asia's richest person, is a college dropout who survived the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks and says he was once kidnapped for ransom
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days
- Over a million Ethereum tokens have been burned since the big upgrade, but transaction costs are still a pain point for the network
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200