These top European energy companies are set to pay for Russian gas in rubles to meet Putin's demands despite EU warnings: report
- Companies in Germany, Austria, Hungary, and Slovakia are set to pay for
Russian gasin rubles, sources told the Financial Times.
- That includes two of the largest importers of Russian gas — Uniper and OMV — according to the FT.
Companies in Germany, Austria, Hungary, and Slovakia are set to meet the Kremlin's demand that natural customers register for a new payment mechanism that facilitates
Despite warnings from the European Union that such payments would violate
Two of the largest importers of Russian gas are said to be participating — Düsseldorf-based Uniper and Vienna-based OMV. And by the end of May, Italy's Eni may sign up for the ruble payments as well, though it is still considering its options, according to the FT.
For nations complying with the new ruble payment scheme, they must pay Gazprombank in euro-denominated deposits, which the firm would then convert to rubles in a second account opened in their name.
Earlier this week, however, Gazprombank rejected a ruble payment from a trading firm Germany had seized from Moscow.
Despite widespread condemnation of Russia's war on Ukraine,
In April, Ukraine had called for the world's largest energy traders to stop handling Russian oil altogether.
"They are in this cycle of financing war crimes and genocide against Ukrainian citizens," Oleg Ustenko, advisor to Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy told the FT.
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- Not just India, many countries are protecting their wheat to keep daily bread, affordable
- Saudi Arabia bans citizens from flying to India due to re-emergence of Covid-19
- Healthtech platform MFine lays off more than 500 employees amid financial crunch
- GoodWill ransomware detected in India makes victim donate to poor, provides financial help to needy patients
- Xiaomi Band 7 launch set for May 24: Everything we know so far
- Best gaming deals on Epic Games Mega Sale in India