UK labor market adds 160,000 jobs in October, boosting chances the Bank of England will hike interest rates
- The number of employees on UK company
payrollsrose by 160,000 to 29.3 million in October, data showed Tuesday.
- Separate official data published on Tuesday showed the unemployment rate fell to 4.3% in the three months to September.
British employers added more workers to their payrolls in October after the government's job-protecting furlough scheme ended, potentially easing the lingering concerns at the
Sterling rose as data showed the number of employees on company payrolls rose by 160,000 to 29.3 million employees last month and the unemployment rate in the third quarter fell by more than expected.
The Bank of England, weighing up when to raise interest rates, is watching closely for how the
The Office for National Statistics said it was possible that people made redundant at the end of the furlough scheme would continue to appear as in work in the data for a few further months, while they worked out their notice period.
"However, responses to our business survey suggest that the numbers made redundant was likely to be a small share of those still on furlough at the end of September 2021," the ONS said.
Separate official data published on Tuesday showed the unemployment rate fell to 4.3% in the three months to September.
Economists polled by Reuters had expected the unemployment rate to fall to 4.4% from 4.5% in the three months to August.
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!
- Exploring vibrant flavors: 10 healthy salad options in India
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers
- 10 Cities in India perfect for a chill and relaxed life