US stocks edge higher as investors await big week for earnings
- US stocks edged higher on Monday as investors await a flood of first quarter earnings this week.
- A third of the S&P 500 will report earnings this week, including Tesla, Apple, and Alphabet.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
US stocks edged higher on Monday as investors anticipate a flood of first quarter earnings that are set to be released this week, with about a third of the S&P 500 reporting earnings.
Here's where US indexes stood at the 9:30 a.m. ET open on Monday:
- S&P 500: 4,188.27, up 0.2%
- Dow Jones industrial average: 34,093.15, up 0.15% (49.66 points)
- Nasdaq composite: 14,050.75, up 0.26%
Copper prices soared on Monday, hitting their highest levels since 2011 as increasing demand to fuel a green-energy future outstrips supply, which has been rattled by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Bitcoin staged a deep correction over the weekend, falling below the $50,000 level for the first time in months. But buyers stepped in on Monday, pushing bitcoin up by more than 10% to $53,000.
Gold jumped 0.09%, to $1,779.30 per ounce.
- Best pet beds to buy in India
- Best pickle jars for storage in India
- Best clutches for women in India
- Punjab National Bank's net profit more than doubles to ₹1,127 crore
- Karnataka legislature joint session from Feb 14, budget in March first week