US stocks slip in volatile session as Powell addresses lawmakers on rate hikes and forecast for the economy
stocksclosed lower after volatile trading following Fed Chair Powell's testimony to lawmakers.
- The Fed isn't trying to pull the US
economyinto a recession as it battles inflation, he told the Senate Banking Committee.
US stocks fell Wednesday after
The S&P 500 was on track for its third straight win before turning lower as the session came to a close. The
Stocks were on edge as investors considered a recent pile up of warnings from Wall Street banks and market luminaries about a looming economic contraction on the back of the Fed's aggressive rate-hike cycle.
Powell at a Senate Banking Committee hearing on Wednesday told lawmakers the central bank's key goal is to pull down inflation rates. Inflation in May reached 8.6%.
"We're not trying to provoke, and don't think that we will need to provoke, a recession," Powell said. However, it's essential that the Fed restores price stability, he said.
The world's largest economy is "well-positioned" to take on higher interest rates, he said. The Fed this month extended rate hikes to include a move up of 75 basis points, the biggest increase since 1994. Powell will appear Thursday before the House Financial Services Committee.
Here's where US indexes stood at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday:
- S&P 500: 3,759.89, down 0.13%
- Dow Jones Industrial Average: 30,483.13, down 0.15% (47.12 points)
- Nasdaq Composite: 11,053.08, down 0.15%
Russia exported gold to Switzerland for the first time since launching its war against Ukraine as some buyers soften on self-sanctioning.
Oil prices fell. West Texas Intermediate crude dropped 3.3% to $105.91 per barrel. Brent crude, the international benchmark, shed 0.3% at $111.39 but pared a larger loss. US President Joe Biden on Wednesday called for Congress to temporarily suspend the federal gas tax to ease the pressure of spiking prices at the pump.
Gold edged up 0.1 % to $1,840 per ounce. The 10-year yield fell 13 basis points to 3.16%.
Bitcoin gave up 3.4% at $20,134.10.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Personal trainer Kelsey Wells' protein-packed go-to smoothie is a 'meal in a cup' that tastes like cookie batter
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know