US stocks trade mixed after weekly jobless claims come in higher than expected
- US stocks were mixed on Thursday after weekly jobless claims came in higher than expected.
- 419,000 Americans filed for unemployment last week, well above the estimate of 350,000.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
US stocks halted their uptrend early Thursday morning and moved lower following a surprise jump in weekly jobless claims.419,000 Americans filed for unemployment last week, well above the estimate of 350,000. Continuing claims, which measure the number of Americans receiving unemployment benefits, stood at 3.2 million, slightly down from last week's revised figure of 3.265 million.
View all Offers
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9A (Nature Green, 2GB RAM, 32GB Storage) | 2GHz Octa-core Helio G25 Processor | 5000 mAh Battery₹ 6999₹ 8499Buy On
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Gray Sierra, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) I Extra upto Rs.1000 off on Exchange₹ 29999Buy On
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9A (Midnight Black 2GB RAM 32GB Storage) | 2GHz Octa-core Helio G25 Processor | 5000 mAh Battery₹ 6999₹ 8499Buy On
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Blue Haze, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) I Extra upto Rs.1000 off on Exchange₹ 29999Buy On
- 19% OFF
Redmi Note 10 (Aqua Green, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) -Amoled Dot Display | 48MP Sony Sensor IMX582 | Snapdragon 678 Processor₹ 12999₹ 15999Buy On
- S&P 500: 4,362.42, up 0.09%
- Dow Jones industrial average: 34,775.64, down 0.03% (11.05 points)
- Nasdaq composite: 14,667.06, up 0.23%
Guggenheim's Scott Minerd thinks there could be more downside ahead for both the stock market and bitcoin, according to an interview with Bloomberg. Minerd said US stocks could drop 15% by the end of October, and reiterated his view that bitcoin could fall to $15,000.SEC Chairman Gary Gensler signaled that cryptocurrencies could fall under its rules on securities-based swaps and said that more regulation of the crypto space is imminent.
According to a survey conducted by Goldman Sachs, about 60% of high-net-worth family offices are already investing or are interested in investing in crypto.Oil prices were higher. West Texas Intermediate crude was up as much as 0.5%, to $70.65 per barrel. Brent crude, oil's international benchmark, jumped 0.4%, to $72.55 per barrel. Gold fell 0.15%, to $1,800.11 per ounce.
- The Tokyo Olympics are a hive of NFT activity — from pins to moments to artwork
- Twitter is rolling out an update to make Twitter Spaces easier to share and discover
- Tencent and Alibaba Group have lost more than $100 billion in July as China cracked down on internet giants
- Cadbury Dairy Milk's next phase of 'heart the hate' campaign urges bystanders to stand up against cyberbullying by sharing a Purple Heart
- Coinbase, CoinDCX, WazirX and other crypto firms aren’t just looking for engineers but designers, social media wizards, and managers too