Stocks are a bit higher
Brittany Randolph / flickr
Near 9:35 a.m. ET, the Dow was up 37 points, the S&P 500 was up 3 points, and the Nasdaq was up 4 points.
Yesterday, stocks closed slightly lower, with the S&P 500 down the most at about -0.4%.
It's generally quieter out there. New York Stock Exchange trading volume on Monday was at a one-month low. In a morning note, Deutsche Bank's Jim Reid noted that this partly reflects all the chaos of last month, the Rosh Hashanah holiday, and yesterday's empty data calendar.
However, there's general calm, he noted, ahead of the Federal Reserve's interest rate decision on Thursday; stocks traded in quite a tight range yesterday.
Fed fund futures are now pricing a 30% probability of a hike this month, up from 28% over the last few days. Meanwhile, economists are almost evenly split.
In data this morning, we got a second consecutive ugly Empire State manufacturing report. The headline index was -14.7, indicating that manufacturing in the region is in contraction.
Retail sales rose 0.2% in August, just below the forecast for 0.3%. And, the control group number that feeds into GDP was 0.4%, while the prior print was revised higher to 0.6% from 0.3%.
West Texas Intermediate crude oil was up about 1% around the time of the stock market open. Over the past few days, oil bodies including OPEC and the IEA have cut forecasts for US production.
Later today, the American Petroleum Institute will release weekly data on inventories.
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- International air travel penetration remains low in India: CAPA
- "Meeting friends is always a delight": PM Modi reacts to 'Melodi' selfie shared by Italian counterpart Georgia Meloni
- WhatsApp testing new feature that lets you search users by their username
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts