Here are the top 10 grammar mistakes people make, according to Microsoft
Sometimes it's laziness or impatience; sometimes they're genuinely confused.Using data from millions of its subscribers, Microsoft recently rounded up a list of the top 10 grammar mistakes in the English language. The data comes from people who use Microsoft Word and/or Outlook, both of which come with a tool called Editor.
It can make a bad impression if you have a document riddled with mistakes, says Nicole Michel, a linguist who is also a project manager at Microsoft.She told Business Insider: "If you send a CV to a potential employer and it's full of grammar or spelling mistakes, it's going to show carelessness and lack of attention to detail, and also it shows that you're not really putting emphasis and importance on the task."
Below, we've listed the 10 most common grammar errors, along with examples, according to Microsoft. There's a good chance you've made at least one.1. Leaving too many white spaces between wordsExample: To the left.
Correct: To the left.
2. Missing a commaExample: If the weather remains the same we'll leave early.
Correct: If the weather remains the same, we'll leave early.
3. Missing a comma after an introductory phraseExample: First of all we must make sure that the power is off.
4. Missing a hyphenExample: My 3 year old son
Correct: My 3-year-old son5. Incorrect subject-verb agreementExample: The cats eats.
Correct: The cats eat.
6. Incorrect capitalizationExample: It's cold, But we are going out.
Correct: It's cold, but we are going out.
7. Mixing up possessive and plural formsExample: My sisters car is old.
8. Incorrect agreement with noun phrasesExample: I would like to buy this apples.
Correct: I would like to buy these apples.9. Commonly confused wordsExample: After all that running, I am out of breathe.
Correct: After all that running, I am out of breath.
Read Microsoft's list of most commonly confused words.10. Incorrect verb form after auxiliary
Example: They had ate when we arrived.
Correct: They had eaten when we arrived.
- GST exemption on domestic supplies, commercial imports of COVID drugs to make them costlier, says Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- Uttar Pradesh government extends statewide lockdown till May 17
- Marriage functions to be held at home or court with maximum gathering of 20 people, says Delhi DDMA
- PM Modi speaks to Chief Minsters of Punjab, Karnataka, Bihar and Uttarakhand regarding COVID-19 situation in their respective states
- If you are feeling anxious and overwhelmed by the pandemic and the news around it, here are a few ways to calm yourself down