11 billionaires who made their fortunes after immigrating to the US
- Some of the richest people who currently live in the United States were not born here.
- Several billionaires - including Tesla CEO Elon Musk, real-estate developer Jorge Perez, Panda Express founder Andrew Cherng, and Chobani CEO Hamdi Ulukaya - first came to the United States for college.
- Financier George Soros first immigrated to the UK while fleeing Soviet occupation in his native Hungary, before moving to New York to become a stock trader, Business Insider previously reported.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The United States is home to more billionaires than any other nation, according to research firm Wealth-X - but not all of them were born here.
Several billionaires - including Tesla CEO Elon Musk, real-estate developer Jorge Perez, Panda Express founder Andrew Cherng, and Chobani CEO Hamdi Ulukaya - first came to the United States for college. Others immigrated to the United States with their families as children.
Keep reading to learn more about some of the most prominent immigrant billionaires in the country.
Sergey Brin's family emigrated from the Soviet Union when he was 6.
Hamdi Ulukaya founded the yogurt brand Chobani after emigrating from Turkey to attend college in New York.
Financier George Soros fled Soviet occupation in his native Hungary in 1947.
Eren Ozmen, the president of aerospace company Sierra Nevada Corp., immigrated to the United States from Turkey.
Miami real estate developer Jorge Perez was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Bharat Desai, the founder of IT consulting firm Syntel, was born in Kenya and raised in India.
Early Google investor Kavitark Ram Shriram was born and raised in India.
Panda Express founders Peggy and Andrew Cherng immigrated to the US from Myanmar and China respectively, before meeting as students at Baker University.
WhatsApp co-founder Jan Koum immigrated to California from Ukraine with his mother when he was 16.
Pierre Omidyar moved to the US from France with his family long before he founded eBay.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk grew up in South Africa and worked in Canada before coming to the US.
- One of India's ancient geological features might have helped kill off the dinosaurs millions of years ago!
- Office rentals rise across top 7 cities as new supply remains minimal
- Saudi Arabia and other oil heads keep refuting the science behind phase-out of fossil fuels at COP28; Are they right?
- 10 Spectacular international winter getaways for Indian travellers
- No 'spectacular announcement' likely in February 1 budget, says finance minister